Following their successful debut concert in November at Birmingham's Adrian Boult Hall, the People's Orchestra have two further concerts in December. One, at Symphony Hall in Birmingham, is the Radio WM Christmas concert and the other, at Millennium Point, is the premiere of The Hobbit. Midlands based The People's Orchestra was set this year to be a new amateur orchestra filling in a gap in provision when students leave youth orchestras. The orchestra specialises in film music and their debut concert, Trailers combined the film music, with Indian Dance and Drumming, and two completely new pieces of music created by the members.
At the Radio WM Christmas concert they will be playing at Symphony Hall alongside a variety of well known names in aid of Cure Leukemia. For the premiere of the film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, they will be playing the score from The Lord of the Rings.
Further information from the Peoples Orchestra website.
Elsewhere on this blog:
- Well meaning confusion - creating today's Carmen
- Don Quichotte at Chelsea Opera Group
- Passion and discipline - Russion Virtuosi of Europe at Cadogan Hall
- Creating socially responsible individuals as well as musicians - In Harmony Sistema England
- Christine Brewer at the Wimbledon Music Festival
- The Natural History of the Piano
- CD Review - Coro Allegro - In Paradisum