Community engagement his an important factor in the visits. In 2013 at St Mary's Ashford, Aurora musicians performed alongside local school students premiering a new piece specially composed by pupils for the concert and a highlight of the orchestra’s concert at the Apex, Bury St Edmunds, in May 2013, was the participation of local primary and secondary school students performing a song developed out of a series of sessions with Aurora workshop leader, John Barber, alongside Aurora musicians. At St. George's Bristol in 2012 the orchestra made an appearance as part of the BBC’s Music Nation weekend linked to the Cultural Olympiad. Working with in this way enables the orchestra to develop a broader appreciation of classical music amongst audiences in the regions they are visiting.
Aurora formally launches its residency at St George’s on Friday 14 March with KlezMahler – the orchestra’s New Moves programme pairing Mahler’s First Symphony, performed here in a new chamber orchestra arrangement by Iain Farrington, with eastern European folk music performed and arranged by the leading klezmer band, She’Koyokh, alongside members of Aurora. Aurora’s next performance at The Apex will be on Friday 23 May 2014 featuring Iain Farrington’s chamber orchestra arrangement of Mahler’s First Symphony. Their next concert at St Mary's is on 16 November 2014 and features Bjork's percussionist Manu Delago.
Elsewhere on this blog:
- Rosenblatt Recitals: Giuseppe Filianoti
- Second view: ETO' Magic Flute
- Theatrical magic: Jonathan Dove's Pinocchio
- CPE Bach Centenary: CPE Bach's Magnificat from RIAS Kammerchor & Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin - CD review
- ETO: Mozart's Magic Flute at Hackney Empire
- CPE Bach Centenary: Florilegium CPE Bach anniversary concert
- Poised and stylish: Arise my muse - Iestyn Davies & friends - CD review
- Imaginative and unfussy: Handel''s Arianna at the London Handel Festival
- Challenging expectations: Flow my tears: Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen
- Pimlico Opera in Prison: Sister Act
- Cantus Cölln at the Wigmore Hall