|Richard and Pauline Strauss|
Gillian Keith (soprano) and Stephen Barlow (piano) are joined by actors Oliver Cotton and Marty Cruickshank for My Dearest Hedgehog - The tempestuous marriage of Richard and Pauline Strauss in which Strauss's songs (many written for Pauline or inspired by her) are interleaved with the narrative of their marriage in a dramatic concert devised and written by Henrietta Bredin. (18/3 Middle Temple Hall). A very different musical marriage is depicted by Ian Bostridge, Sophie Daneman and Julius Drake, that of Robert and Clara Schumann. They will be giving a complete performance of Schumann's Myrten, Schumann's wedding present to his wife, along with some of Schumann's duets Op.34 and Op.78 (9/7 Middle Temple Hall)
John Tomlinson and Julius Drake will be performing Schubert's Winterreise (9 June, Middle Temple Hall).
Benjamin Grosvenor joins the Escher Quartet for a programme which mixes Dvorak's Piano Quintet with solo piano music by Mendelssohn, Schubert and Liszt, and Mendelssohn's Quartet in E flat Major Op.1. Grosvenor won the piano section of the BBC Young Musician in 2004 (when he was 12). (15/4 Middle Temple Hall).
The Holst Singers and conductor Stephen Layton are presenting an all-Russian programme, combining excerpts from Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil (Vespers) with music from Gretchaninov's setting of the same service as well as music by Rimsky-Korsakov and Gorecki (14/5, Temple Church). Organist Greg Morris will be putting the Temple Church's restored Harrison and Harrison organ through its paces in music by Elgar and Bach (20/5 Temple Church).
The Aurora Orchestra will be performing a programme of wind music, including Mozart's Gran Partita and Dvorak's Serenade in D minor Op.44 (12/6 Temple Church).
Elsewhere on this blog:
- Rokoko: Max Emanuel Cencic in arias by Hasse
- Rosenblatt Recitals: Giuseppe Filianoti
- Second view: ETO' Magic Flute
- Theatrical magic: Jonathan Dove's Pinocchio
- CPE Bach Centenary: CPE Bach's Magnificat from RIAS Kammerchor & Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin - CD review
- ETO: Mozart's Magic Flute at Hackney Empire
- CPE Bach Centenary: Florilegium CPE Bach anniversary concert
- Poised and stylish: Arise my muse - Iestyn Davies & friends - CD review
- Imaginative and unfussy: Handel''s Arianna at the London Handel Festival
- Challenging expectations: Flow my tears: Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen
- Cantus Cölln at the Wigmore Hall